Caribbean Governance Training Institute
Chartered Directors Program
Our Chartered Directors Program is characterized by candid discussions in an interactive forum with board members and executive directors who are leading Caribbean Organisations through major opportunities, challenges, and crises. The objective of our Chartered Directors Program is to acquaint participants with their governance options, their implementation, best practices, and their consequences.
The Chartered Directors Program is specifically designed for those who already are, or are about to become, members of the Board of Directors of a Caribbean Organisation. Participants will gain leading edge strategies, frameworks, and best practices for making crucial Board decisions in an ever-changing environment.
Overview of Chartered Directors Program
Session 1 – The Principles of Good Governance
Session 2 – Roles, Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Culture
Session 3 – Introduction to “basic” Financial Literacy Strategic
Session 4 – Good Boards Need Good Directors
Session 5 – Developing Strategic Thinking vs. Strategic Planning
Session 6 – Risk Management
- The 12 Principles of Great Governance
- Governance versus management: what the critical differences are between direction and management.
- How do Boards achieve effective functioning in relation to management/staff?
- Five different governance “models”. How active should a Board be?
- What are the enemies and constraints to Board effectiveness?
- The 5 Reasons why Directors don’t do what is required of them
- What’s important to improving a Board’s decision making.
- What are the roles, responsibilities and accountabilities of the Board Chair, Chairs of Board committees and Individual Board members?
- How can a Board doing a poor/OK job upgrade its performance?
- What are the essential characteristics of an appropriate Board culture?
- Legal duties and liabilities of the Board and Board members: The Basics
- Codes of Conduct & Best Practices
- How can Board members possibly be mindful of all of their duties and of the diligence they must exercise to discharge each of those duties effectively?
- Managing Relations between the Board and its Executive Director/CEO
- Interpreting an organization’s Financial Statements: What do they really mean?
- Transaction Accounting Backgrounder: Accounting 101 for Corporate Directors
- How do Board members measure the alignment of strategic objectives with financial results and overall success?
- What are the most effective key performance indicators and how can Board Members best lever this information?
- Stewardship – Internal control and risk
- Public trust and financial integrity
- Audit Committee Overview
- What is the link between governance and organisational performance?
- Overseeing the Board itself: Recommending Board governance policies, guidelines and procedures for better Board effectiveness
- Building a Better Board: Recruiting, selecting, motivating and measuring the performance of directors
- 5 Toxic Directors to Avoid
- Why it’s important to conduct “Board assessments” and what is the best approach
- The Essentials of CEO Succession
- The strategic leadership cycle
- How can the Board (with Management) establish a clear sense of purpose, direction, strategy, priorities and decision-making criteria?
- Introduction to the “Balanced Scorecard”
- What steps must Board members take to fully understand the business model and unique competencies of their organization?
- What is risk today?
- What is risk oversight?
- What is the Board’s Role in Risk management?
- What information do Board members need to ensure risks are identified and managed?
- Directors’ and Officers’ Insurance