FCG, Acc. Dir.
Sylvia Groves, FCG, Acc. Dir., and CEO of Governance Studio, consults, facilitates and speaks professionally. She created Governance Studio from her award-winning work with one of Canada’s foremost governance leaders. The firm is dedicated to Adding Value to Every Seat at the Boardroom Table ™. Sylvia’s no-nonsense practical advice has helped thousands of corporate secretaries and directors enhance the effectiveness of their boards and their organizations. Private, public, co-operative, crown, charitable, hybrid and not-for-profit boards appreciate working with Sylvia to enhance their governance programs for the benefit of their stakeholders. Sylvia listens to each client’s unique needs and applies her decades of expertise to build the right systems and processes for each individual organization. “There is no one size fits all here – to be effective, governance has to fit the specific company and its particular culture and operations,” notes Sylvia. A self-proclaimed “governance nerd”, Sylvia has spent over two decades honing her craft. She has a special affinity for helping Governance Professionals and Corporate Secretaries, who are often the unsung heroes of implementing good governance. Governance Studio focusses on practical governance solutions:
- Developing and implementing governance programming that adds value for each unique organization
- Working with boards to find new members with the right skill profiles
- Building programs to orient new directors so they can hit the ground running
- Confidentially evaluating boards and providing concrete recommendations for improvement
- Auditing complete governance programs to streamline processes and enhance practices
- Selecting the right-fit best practices for an organization and implementing them
- Preparing transparent public disclosure that tells the organization’s governance story to stakeholders
- Teaching staff the fundamentals of great minute writing and the role of the Corporate Secretary
Sylvia is a judge of the Excellence in Governance Awards, an Accredited Director and a fellow of the Chartered Governance Institute of Canada. She is also a recipient of the Excellence in Governance Distinguished Contribution Award from the Governance Professionals of Canada. She is the author of the highly acclaimed book: AAA+ Minutes™ – The Three Must-Do Fundamentals And 100s Of Practice Tips For Writing Minutes That Protect Your Organization And Its Directors.